St. Teresa of Calcutta
Born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in Skopje, St. Teresa of Calcutta joined the Sisters of Loreto at the age of 18. She served for 20 years at St. Mary’s school for girls in Calcutta, India.
On a train ride on September 10, 1946, she received her “call within a call.” Jesus asked Mother Teresa to establish a religious community, the Missionaries of Charity, dedicated to serving the poorest of the poor, where she affectionately got the title: Mother Teresa.
After her death, through her prayer journals it was learned that Mother Teresa spent a majority of her life in a ‘spiritual darkness’ in which she felt far from God. Despite this, she remained faithful and in under 50 years, her Sisters numbered nearly 4,000 members and were established in 610 foundations in 123 countries of the world.